Saturday 25 February 2017

Book Review #2 - Red Queen / Victoria Aveyard

This will be a quick and brief update of a review as I didn’t enjoy the book so don’t have much to discuss. So two weeks ago, James and I went shopping in Guildford and of course we visited Waterstones. The book Red queen, caught my eye. I was placed in the teen fiction section and I came across when I was looking for another book (the other selection series book – although they didn’t have the following on that I was currently reading) so instead I opted for the red queen series. I saw that they had the other two, which I believe is Glass Sword and King’s Cage. So I decided to get the first one only has I wasn’t sure how I was going to like the series. Which in a result I am glad I did because I didn’t enjoy it at all.

I have read some reviews before I purchased the book and I gathered that it would follow the same scenario of The Hunger Games and divergent series. However, I had hoped that it would have some unique aspect to it. Without giving spoilers away, the difference to it are they have a division of silvers and reds. The silvers are wealthy and have some sort of power. Then the reds are lower casts. Until we meet the main character Mare, she reveals to the royalty of Silvers that she has a power to control lightning and then she is told to have a new life as a silver.

I was intrigued by the reviews and blurb of this book however when I started reading it, I found it took a while to get into. I got about half way when things started to happen and I still found it not very interesting to say the least. I don’t like criticising books, as I respect the hard work that’s gone into it, so I am not saying don’t read it etc.

Overall I liked the idea of the concept of this book and its features but I felt disappointed when I got into the book because it wasn’t what I had expected and took me some motivation to get me finish the book.

Thanks for reading.

Alice xo 

No comments:

Post a Comment