Tuesday 21 February 2017

Book Review #1 The Selection Series Trilogy

THE SELECTION SERIES – (includes first 3 books, the selection; the elite; the one) NO SPOILERS!



Last week I finished reading the trilogy of the selection series written by the amazing Keira Cass. There are more books in the series along with extra novellas which I have yet to read, but I thought I’d focus on the first three books as this looks at the story of America singer. First impressions, the characters are names are odd, took me a while to get used to them, usually it doesn’t bother me but all I did was get me a while to grow with the character. These books wound me up crazy, the constant love triangle scenario and then little surprises which just pushed knowing the ending further was getting irritating, though surprisingly it got me reading chapter after chapter.

Firstly, the main character America Singer, I liked her at the beginning, her secret relationship with aspen and how she had plans to run away and get married was interesting along with the selection competition, then when she got selected as one of the thirty-five girls in running to be princess just obviously interfered with the situation.

Aspen at this point of the story was annoying, he was stubborn and selfish. He proven to America that he loved her but insisted that she applied for the selection knowing that he had a chance to lose her. However, he ended up with a happy ending which was obvious when he distanced himself further on in the book.

My favourite character was actually Celeste. This is because she was the only one that didn’t annoy me. She was feisty and stubborn, which reminded me of myself in a good way. But In the end she realised her faults and made up for them. Just I am disappointed what happened in the end and how in the end it seemed rushed.

Then lastly there’s Maxon, who is straight up my favourite character in the novel. He is so genuine, down to earth and caring, who I admire his respect to America and the other girls within the competition. I really grew to connect with him and really felt emotional when bad things happened to him. I actually said to my boyfriend ‘be more like maxon’ because I got so attached to him that I wanted him to be real. Which is why I am looking forward for this to becoming a film so I can finally put a face to him.

I’ve always found it interesting as I’m reading these books, I visually picture each scene in my head and how the characters look, which I know now that I got high expectations for the film. Especially with the casting for characters. Although Cass has created America to have long red hair, I just can’t picture that with prince Maxon.

All in all, I’m looking forward to reading the next books I the series, and know more about the different perspectives on other characters, such as Marlee, Lucy, Queen Amberly and of course the King. This is because we met the characters but we didn’t get an in depth on their views and opinions on the rebels and competition etc.

I’ve gotten back into reading and I have gotten clued to goodreads which although I review the books I read on there, I wanted to keep a log of it to easily reflect on later, so I thought I may aswell put it on my blog. If you check out my goodreads profile you can browse the books I’ve read; want to read and the genres I’m interested in.

Thanks for reading.

Alice xo 

No comments:

Post a Comment