Wednesday 12 August 2015

CD- Follow up appointment

Today I had a follow up appointment with the surgeon since my surgery, this was just a confirmation that I have crohns disease as well as future plans. I am now being referred to see a gastroenterologist, who will discuss the types of medication I will need for this life long disease, as well as iron and b12 vitamins. As they have taken out the section that your body naturally absorbs b12, I have been taking b12 supplements. Though from now on, I am to have a B12 injections every 3 months. As for my iron levels; I’ve also been anemic, I have to either take iron supplements or to take iron foods, such as beef, broccoli etc, however beef is one of the foods I can’t eat, which makes it difficult.

The most important thing I learnt from the appointment, was  that having the one meal that is under the category of not recommended foods, will not do internal damage, however will mean I will suffer the consequences, e.g. stomach cramps. So for a barbeque which is happening next week, I can have the odd burger, which is nice as I don’t feel so left out. Apparently there’s a chance in years to come that I may need more surgery caused from the immune system and how it works (some science technical stuff), though this could be 10 years or more. Right now I have a positive mind with how everything is going and hopefully it stays on track and is managed relatively well.

I have also purchased a crohns recipe book as I’m finding new vegetables and ways to incorporate them. However I’m more into baking, than savoury cooking, therefore for my next blog post I will be showing my recipe for white chocolate and raspberry brownies.

Thanks for reading!xo

Alice

No comments:

Post a Comment